Electricity is a highly useful source of energy. Without it, civilization would never have taken off and many critical sectors would not function as they do. For instance, it helps to save thousands of lives every day in the medical industry by providing the power to run electrical equipment that allow doctors to make accurate diagnoses. Despite its usefulness, electricity poses a myriad of unique challenges.

The following are eight of the common electrical problems and the solutions behind them.

Power surges

Electrical surges can be caused by several incidents such as a lightning strike, faulty wiring, damaged power lines, or a faulty appliance. Although a power surge only lasts for a few minutes, continuous occurrences can damage critical electrical equipment and cause enormous losses.

To ensure your equipment is safe, power surges should be investigated and solutions implemented. If the surges are not from the electricity provider’s side, a qualified technician should check out the wiring and fix broken devices and power boards that connect to the grid.

Tripped circuit breaker

Circuit breakers are deployed to turn off the power in case the appliances draw more power than is safe. Tripped circuit breakers often result from many high-energy consuming items being connected to the circuit at the same time. A tripped circuit breaker is a good sign of safety. An electrician can easily fix a tripped circuit breaker and set it at the level that ensures the circuit is safe.

Power sags and dips

Power sags and dips are usually a result of a faulty grid that has households and appliances connected to it. This happens when the grid has some problems and the households are drawing in a lot of power. The grid problems are usually related to poor quality materials that may have been used in developing the grid.

Switch failures

Switch failures are some of the most common electrical problems. They involve the switch failing to function correctly, which means that it is unable to perform its intended function of either switching the lights on or off. This problem can be fixed by getting the broken switch replaced with one that is functioning well.

Overloading

Overloading of the circuit happens when the appliances connected draw in more power than the power supplied. Overloading can also occur if, for instance, a bulb that has a higher capacity is attached to an outlet unit that has low capacity.

When the connected appliance or bulb draws more power than the source’s capacity, wires begin to overheat. If the wires overheat for a long time, they could cause the outer casing to melt. Melted wires might come into contact with other wires leading to sparks that cause a fire. To avoid such a problem, no appliance should be connected to a power source that does not meet its capacity.

Flickering lights

In most cases, flickering lights are a result of loose connections. This situation is dangerous and can easily cause a fire. Flickering lights can be fixed by an electrician who will investigate the source of the problem and fix the loose and worn out parts.

Frequent burning out of the bulbs

Regular burning of bulbs is caused by high wattage, poor wiring, or insulation near the bulb. Most of these reasons cause the bulb to overheat and burn out. This condition can be fixed by keeping bulbs away from insulation and ensuring that the wiring is okay and has the necessary measures to prevent them from drawing excessive power.

High power bills

High power bills are caused by excessive consumption or wastage of energy. If a client has high power bills, he or she needs to avoid letting unused appliances stay plugged in for long. They should also stop using high wattage bulbs and appliances.

Electric shocks

An electric shock occurs when one is exposed to electricity. This nasty experience indicates that some loose connections allow electricity to get into places it shouldn’t. if someone has suffered an electric shock, a qualified power technician should investigate the problem and fix any loose connection or replace worn out devices.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *